Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a first year beekeeper. Did my 1st winter inspection the other day. Found that the bees were all on the left side of the hive. Looks like they started on frames 1-5 in the lower hive body and moved up onto frames 1-5 in the upper hive body. Frames 6-10 appear to be untouched in both the upper and lower hive bodies. Is this normal? Also, there is a softball size pile of dead bees outside the hive.
I've added 1:1 sugar syrup and a pollen patty. Should I manipulate any of the frames or reverse the hive bodies?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
280 Posts
"Found that the bees were all on the left side of the hive."

Naw, they're just good ol' Democrat bees.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
If your hives are facing east it may explain it. All my 5 hives came out of the winter hugging the south side of the boxes.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Feeding sugar syrup and giving pollen patties is a good idea. This is also a good time to treat for Nosema. Don’t manipulate the frames yet, we still have a lot of cold weather to come, and this could cause more harm than good. The bees will use warmer days to break cluster and move to honey stores. March is the month that many hives will crash so the best thing you can do now is feed them and disturb them as little as possable.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Unfortunately it is normal for this year. the up and down temps have been hard on the bees and the survivers are clustered in the warmest part of the hive. You did the right thing feeding them 1:1 syrup. Just keep feeding them until they won't take it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts