Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried calling the place I got them from and all I got was answering service. Please any advice would be helpful. I have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
11,481 Posts
Please tell us something about this.

How do you know the queen is dead, it's still in the cage, or what?

Do you have more than one hive?

Could there be a second queen in the hive? Happens occasionally

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just have one hive right now. Queen was in the cage. She wasn't moving. I released her onto my glove she didn't move.

·
Registered
11,481 Posts
The one hive is the package with the dead queen?

If so, persist with attempting to contact the package vendor and have them send a new queen pronto. If there is no queen, the package bees will dwindle away fairly quickly.

Other possibility, there could be a loose queen in the package which is why the queen in the cage died. See what happens, ie, if the bees stick around, build comb, and have eggs laid in it. But in any case time is of the essence if it's queenless so still ask them for a replacement queen.

·
Registered
848 Posts
By any change does anyone around you have bees? If so maybe you can find a queen local.
Or at least some brood,Most bk's would be glad to help.
As Oldtimer said, time is not on your side.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is really no beekeepers near me that I know of. How long wil they last without a queen? And if I can get a queen , any type of queen will that work. I tried contacting vendor all I get is answering service.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
I just remembered that
mann lake has a new store and package bee/queen bee pick at the PA location in
Wilkes-Barre, PA. That's probably not too far to travel for pick-up if they can help with a queen (maybe they have some extras left over from today's bee pick-up).
But make the arrangements with them before going as they are by order only.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I tried calling the place I got them from and all I got was answering service. Please any advice would be helpful. I have no idea what to do.
i havent checked but, sometimes u can find people selling queens on the for sale link here on Beesource. u DO need a queen asap !

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is where i got my package from today. Tried calling them numerous times I just get the answering service. And @tommysnare I'll try on here. I didn't think of that. Thanks

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Oldtimer said:
"Other possibility, there could be a loose queen in the package which is why the queen in the cage died. See what happens, ie, if the bees stick around, build comb, and have eggs laid in it. But in any case time is of the essence if it's queenless so still ask them for a replacement queen."

I agree with his statement. There could be a loose queen in the package.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. I hope you guys are right about that. I'll keep checking the hive. How many days should i wait and see/ check if there is comb before i should get a queen?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think Anarchy Apiaries is a bit north of your area... I tried reaching out one time and never heard back, but I know Sam Comfort is super busy. at least worth trying to reach out.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ok. I hope you guys are right about that. I'll keep checking the hive. How many days should i wait and see/ check if there is comb before i should get a queen?
If I were in your shoes I would try again in the morning (Monday) to contact your package supplier. If I couldn't contact them I would then order a queen from some of the suppliers on the net. You do still have 4 or 5 days to get a queen. Which is enough time to get a queen shipped from anywhere in the lower 48. Then I would continue to try and contact the supplier for some sort of compensation for the dead queen, but right now, your main concern is to save your package of bees. I do know that Walter T. Kelley had some bees left over yesterday when they closed. Call them early tomorrow before someone beats you to it, and they may be able to help you I think they open at 8:00 AM central time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried twice this morning still got answering service. The service gave me the run around. I know it's not their fault. So now I must move on. I'm going to really think 3 times before I use that company again.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would also try Hudson Valley Bees. when I had a similar problem, and I exhausted all my local options, I called Olivarez in Calif. and they overnighted me a queen. The queen was $25, shipping was $37! But it worked. I wouldn't wait too long though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I tried twice this morning still got answering service. The service gave me the run around. I know it's not their fault. So now I must move on. I'm going to really think 3 times before I use that company again.
Get you a queen ordered from somewhere tomorrow. I know Kelly had 3 packages of bees left over when they closed yesterday. If you can't do anything else, buy one of their packages in the morning and combine it with yours. At least you will have one very powerful hive to start with. Bees are scares this year so call Kellys early, because I'm sure their bees will go very quickly. I told you wrong earlier. They open at 8:00AM Eastern time instead of central. I would start calling around 7:30 just incase someone get in early.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Last summer, my first beehive ever, I had a queen cage that was open. The screen was no stapled good and completely lifted back, so I figured she may had been in the hive somewhere. I watched my hive for two weeks and the huddle just got smaller and smaller. I finally got a new queen, had them accept her and everything was fine from there on. You have time, don't worry! They won't all die that quickly.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts