Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Northern WI, found a bunch of these in an apple tree here in town. They are smaller and much darker than my bees. Any idea what brand they may be?
Thank You

P6040043.jpg P6040039.jpg

·
Registered
118 Posts
I believe it's a sweat bee. There are a number of them which share those colorations but I'm not an entomologist and don't know ranges.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I don't think it is a cicada killer. cicada killers are really big. like 3 times the size of the original poster's pics.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
We have them around here, they are completely non aggressive, you can be right next to them and watch them drag cicadas in their underground burrows. The started coming out about 2 weeks ago. Seem smaller than previous year's, where I have seem 2" maybe even 2.5". That one look like the same size as the ones around here this year. The are solitary and most of the time fly low to the ground. They avoid you but if your slow you can get close to them and their burrow

from Wiki
"Adult eastern cicada killer wasps are large, 1.5 to 5.0 centimeters (0.6 to 2.0 in) long,"

It fits the sized and has the same red brown wings

·
Registered
118 Posts
From the OPs description, there were a bunch in an apple tree. Sounds like a communal dweller - which might rule out the cicada killer.

Edit - it also appears to have hairs on its head which to me would suggest a bee.

I still say it's a sweat bee - halictus rubicundus, specifically...although if it IS indeed social, it's probably something else (although I'd still say something similar).

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone, it looks like a leaf cutter bee to me from the pictures and links that you provided. I should have put in a reference size, I agree, sorry about that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If it's a lot smaller than a honeybee, then it is probably a sweat bee. There are so many bees with that coloration. My favorite place to go to for bee identification is http://bugguide.net/
it has many thousands of pictures of bees.
Here's a little sweat bee from my yard.
beeHalictus7222012.jpg
Here's one type of leaf cutter bee (there are many)
beeleafcutter6202012.jpg
Another
bee742012.jpg

Soooo many bees!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Leaf cutter or a hornface mason bee. Good bee, no sting. Excellent pollinators