Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen a honeybee that looks this way or is this even a honeybee?

I noticed a few of these crawling around on a empty hive we have but I have never seen a honeybee that dark.

Thanks for the help

IMG_1858.jpg IMG_1860.jpg ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sterlingold for the reply.....It almost looks like it's abdomen has been dipped in tar or something.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
The shape of the abdomen looks a little different, but all my drones are dark like that. Most are jet black, a few have a very little bit of yellow starting to come through. I was well into my second year before I found out that all drones were not black. Saw a picture of an Italian drone and basically asked myself the same question you are asking.

·
Registered
143 Posts
it's not a drone. the drones eyes are huge like pilot sunglasses, bodies are fatter with a rounder abdomen, not pointed.
that's a worker. looks sickly, how's your mite count?

Warren Haynes rocks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have not seen a honeybee yet that looks like that one. That still doesn't mean it is not a honeybee. Even 20 years ago when I caught a wild swarm that was almost solid black they had bands that were barely visible, that one has spots.
My teenage daughter who was interested in bees at the time was afraid of those because they looked so much different than the others. Do those bees look about the same size as a honeybee?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not seen a honeybee yet that looks like that one. That still doesn't mean it is not a honeybee. Even 20 years ago when I caught a wild swarm that was almost solid black they had bands that were barely visible, that one has spots.
My teenage daughter who was interested in bees at the time was afraid of those because they looked so much different than the others. Do those bees look about the same size as a honeybee?
Thank you and everyone else for the reply's....They look to be a normal size bee but I have just seen a couple of them so far outside a empty hive box.

It has rained here since I took this photo and I haven't had the chance to open any hives up and inspect. My mite count has been good but I wasn't sure if inbreeding could occur and cause something like this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That looks like a honey bee to me.
I noticed this on one of my hive last year and looked into it further.
The color like the yellow we see is from the hair of the bee.
If they are wet or hairless they appear black.

Hair loss in honey bees could be attributed to Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus (CBPV).
It maybe worth reading more about it.
https://honeybeesuite.com/chronic-bee-paralysis-virus/

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
The hair in the bands on abdomen are in patches. Is that not a bit of pollen on the left rear leg? The tip of the abdomen may be drooped down out of the view of the camera. The grey stain on the wood is positioned just right to make it look part of the abdomen but isn't. I think that throws off perspective. I have seen wings look far more tattered.

Maybe the CBPV is a thought.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The hair in the bands on abdomen are in patches. Is that not a bit of pollen on the left rear leg? The tip of the abdomen may be drooped down out of the view of the camera. The grey stain on the wood is positioned just right to make it look part of the abdomen but isn't. I think that throws off perspective. I have seen wings look far more tattered.

Maybe the CBPV is a thought.
I tried clearing the photo up some. The only reference I can find that might help is the 8 penny nail head next to the bee.

Thanks once again for everyone’s input.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I'm not sure, but if I saw that bee near my hives my first thought would be this quote from Randy Oliver:

It has long been noted that bees will “pick” at nestmates infected with Chronic Paralysis Virus, resulting in the removal of their body hair, leading to the symptom of “hairless black disease.”
-- http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-5-multiple-infections/

I defer to those more experienced, but my first guess would have been that that is indeed a worker bee, and that it's more "worn out" than would occur from old age alone.

·
Registered
143 Posts
that's def a worker bee, seriously looks like it's affected with dwv without the deformed wings, or maybe cbpv the op pics just don't have the greasy appearance, scroll down and check out the pics of the bees with dwv and lower the pics of cbpv

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have solitary ground bees that look a lot like that in my backyard. very close to a honey bee but just a tad longer and skinnier. were are you located?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
That looks like a honey bee to me.
I noticed this on one of my hive last year and looked into it further.
The color like the yellow we see is from the hair of the bee.
If they are wet or hairless they appear black.

Hair loss in honey bees could be attributed to Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus (CBPV).
It maybe worth reading more about it.
https://honeybeesuite.com/chronic-bee-paralysis-virus/
I second this. Not a drone. And I couldn’t see the wings that well but you can identify by the wings. Rusty Burlew has an image o her site of the wing ID. I had 3 hives last year that had this virus. Piles of dead bees in front on the ground. they overwintered well surprisingly and producing so far.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts