Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad dropped off at my wood shop about 30 1 x 10s that he got through some business dealings. I've been beekeeping for 3 years, have 12 colonies and I would like increase in colonies.

TO THE POINT: I only run deep supers (9 5/8) for brood and honey. I cant get 9 5/8" out of 1 x 10 (I think it measures 9 1/4). I was thinking about cutting the boards to 9" and adding a 5/8" cleat to the bottom of the super.

Tell me if that is just stupid or if someone has developed a way to stretch a board. If anyone has anyone suggestions, I am all ears. Thanks. This is a great site.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think i would build medium supers out of the wood with what is left over would be good for bottom boards or top covers

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's the blue board stretcher, just around the corner in the trailer, next to the corner nails.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I think I'll make the medium supers! The dowels are a great idea though if Im in dire need. Heck, I'll build a hive out of plywood. My bees aren't too proud to live in a plywood box!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Re: The patch boxes

Stick to your first plan. I don't know how many of my old boxes have been patched and added on to. The bees don't even care what color you paint the hive either. After you get paint on them you can't even tell that you patch them together.

The only one's that will know is all the guy that read this tread!:lpf: Which might be a few..........thousand.:shhhh:
Good luck,
Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts