Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a robbing situation on 2 of my 3 hives , I need 2 Italian or cordovan queens any suggestions .I live in the NJ area.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Contact your local beekeepers association and ask where to get queens.

If you can't do that, go to Glenn Apiaries and check the Open Mated Queens page. It shows you a map of who sells queens. Call them all up and see where it takes you.

Queens are hard to come by right now, so good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you can reduce entrances on the two queenless hives. Check in the evening at or near dusk to see if there are any native original bees left. If the other bees are robbing then more than likely they are gone. I had two hives die out this year after winter the same way. One just after the honey flow and the other just two weeks ago. It could be the brutal heat and dryness in our area somehow causing the losses. If you have any original bees left you could pull a two frames of capped brood or nearly capped and put them into the hive(s). Make sure you can get a queen first before you do this otherwise it may be a feeble attempt. Check with local beekeeping supply places for queens, local extension services too as well as checking online for the nearest queen growers. If you are unsure of any beekeepers in your areas check with the exterminators as they probably have a few on a list you can contact. Our beekeepers association membership is like 10 bucks for a year but far far more valuable in knowledge, supplies etc. I had learned several things I was doing wrong and not even knowing it. Hope this helps. Peace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts