Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New-Bee here. First hive and I was using ziplock lock bags inside an empty frame to help feed the new bees I received 3 weeks ago. I opened the hive today and comb is the size of a large grapefriut on the frames. What do I do with the comb so I can put a super on it. Any help is really appreciated.
Joe

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Grapefruit sized? Really it just falls in the category of some burr comb that beekeepers have to clean up sometimes, just remove it & carry on with your other plans for the hive.

You could, if you wish, mess with trying to rubber band it into a frame, etc. But firstly it is probably drone comb, and secondly messing with a bit of comb that size is more time trouble than it's worth, unless, as this is your hobby, you will just enjoy doing it, for the sake of it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I recently broke off a good chunk of comb trying to straighten it out and used rubber bands like Oldtimer stated. It works remarkably well and the bees reattached it to the frame within days. I cut the rubber bands off myself once it was secured, but some folks just let the bees take care of it.

I only bothered with it because it was chock full of brood and I am just starting from a package this year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts