Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to do some pre spring clean up and was startled by some things that I found. I lost 4 small hives and still have two larger hives but I am afraid that the bees might have nosema. (first set of pics) and while breaking down another hive I found a white substance around the dead bees in one frame of one hive and have no idea what it may be. (2nd set of pics) . Any help in identification would be great and if that's not nosema and just normal poop I am fine with that also. Any constructive comments and help with identification and possible treatment is most welcome.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
1)some your bees simply went for a cleansing flight - congratulations.
2)the other bees died of starvation a while ago and already becoming moldy - not that great

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
1)some your bees simply went for a cleansing flight - congratulations.
2)the other bees died of starvation a while ago and already becoming moldy - not that great
Greg, does that mold look slightly different than the mold that usually accompanies a dead hive? Looks pretty funky. Deb

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Greg, does that mold look slightly different than the mold that usually accompanies a dead hive? Looks pretty funky. Deb
We can not be sure what the mold is - there are millions of different molds that love the decaying bees and such.
But I am fairly certain that is some kind of a mold.
:)

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
should I destroy that frame?
Why.
It is not critical.
I'd shake/pull out as many dead bees as I can without spending too much time on it (no need to be perfect).
Store the frame in well aired place to stop/slow the mold (so the bees have less work to do later).
Cycle the frame right into the rotation as/when needed.
It is bees' job to clean the combs, not mine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with Greg. I would not be at all surprised to see these things. Looks like normal spring poop and mold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts