Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently taking a beginning class and plan to build my TBH. Question is can I use western cedar for my hive. I know eastern cedar repels moths but don't know if either type of cedar would have any effect on bees. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

There are a number of vendors selling western cedar hives, and I don't believe anyone has reported problems with cedar hives (any more so than hives made from other wood types).

·
Registered
136 Posts
I asked a similar question about a month ago . The general opinion was that it was OK to use the cedar , it was just more expensive than white woods .

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Save the money and get pine and a gallon of oops paint from Lowes. If it is off the ground and has good top it should get very little weather and last a very long time.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yes, cheaper materials are just as good for this. I second getting pine and a gallon of whatever miss-color the store has laying around. Long as its exterior latex paint, it'll be fine. Just paint all of the outside, leave the inside unpainted, and el-cheapo pine will last just as long as expensive cedar.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am currently taking a beginning class and plan to build my TBH. Question is can I use western cedar for my hive. I know eastern cedar repels moths but don't know if either type of cedar would have any effect on bees. Thanks in advance
As folks have already pointed out, yes you can. Take a look at the hives at beethinking.com, they are all cedar. Pine and paint may be cheaper, but those cedar hives sure are nice looking!

·
Registered
535 Posts
I wonder if anyone has ever done a study of bees in cedar hives? Since the cedar repels moths and things, I wonder if it does the same thing to other pests? The reason I ask is that I know of a feral hive in a cedar tree that has been there for 20 years. My buddy gave me a swarm from there, and it has been my strongest colony. I plan on grafting from it this spring. Cedar tree, or just survivor bees? Sorry to get off topic, the posters question just got me to wondering....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts