Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep my Airstream trailer in storage in North Ft. Myers from approx. April-January. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and try to spend a couple of months in the Ft. Myers area in the Airstream. This year it was delivered to our site with a colony that had taken residence under the front jack. I've attended the local SW Florida Bee Association meeting this past week and was given some contacts for removal. Problem is....most people who do this as a 'service' charge a fee that exceeds my travel budget. I'm wondering why I'm unable to find someone who wants a colony for their own personal use and are willing to do this as a 'complimentary service' in return for the bees?? What's a girl to do??? I'm in a bit of a pickle! Folks around me who do not understand bees are very concerned and every time they walk by I'm getting the dirty side look and some are continually asking me 'what I plan to do about the bees'. Help!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Kudos to you for making an effort to do the right thing instead of spraying them like your neighbors would likely do. I am surprised that nobody in the bee association would do it for free since it doesn't involve a lot of work. Hopefully someone here will be able to help. I don't think you can edit the title of your post but maybe you can post again with the title being "Looking for someone to do easy swarm removal in N Ft Meyers". Send a message to a moderator asking them to delete this post. I think you will have better luck. J

·
Registered
87 Posts
hi
If you were back home in NS I would be happy to take care of them for you
Do you have pics of the colony and where it is situated under the trailor and how big it is ?
if you ca post some pics I am sure some one will come deal with them for you .

failing that you basically have 2 options
spray them , which would be a shame

or cut them out yourself and put them in a nuc box , the advantage of putting them in a nuc box is you could then sell them .

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Look on craigslist for someone interested in doing it. A beginner looking for bees is your best bet, but other hobby guys would do it, at least cheap. It takes time, which is money, to come and cut them out, and it may not result in having bees in the end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts