Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some input on splitting a hive. Buy a queen or let the girls make one? Leave the queen with the old hive or put her in the new split. Leave the old hive or move it and put the split in place of it to keep the workers coming home to the split? I have read books and got some input from some bee keepers down in palmbay. I just like getting input from a whole lot of people. Do I have to feed the split ( I live in Titusville Fl.) Do I feed the old hive till thay have queen and workers ? 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 mix? Help If I missed anything please feel free to point it out. I belive we have the pepper tree flow coming up? I am not sure when. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
You have a couple more weeks for Brazilian Pepper yet. Queening depends on how adventurous you are. It will take two weeks to raise a queen and a little over another week to fly and mate. Almost four weeks later the new queen can start laying. Can the hive survive four weeks of attrition? If you can live with that and you do not have Africanized drones in the area for her to mate with you will be fine. We have AHB from the ports in Tampa. You should ask your bee inspector if the bait traps have shown AHB this year.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. We do have the AKB bees here. I called the other day. I have property in Mims and a swarm took up home in a spool and I am waiting on a bee suit from Brushy mnt.Then I will distroy the the bees and there hive.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Destroy? If I was not going out of state tomorrow I would come rescue them. I better not tell my bee workshop group. They would be fighting over them. Reason is if you have a good buffer around the hive of 150 feet, just requeen and wait three weeks for gentle bees to replace the "hot" workers.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I work my bees to death in the Summer. Seriously you miss the point. The queen takes so many days to emerge, mate and, then she starts laying eggs. Time does not stop, waiting for the workers she lays to emerge three weeks later and fly two weeks after that. A few of the original queens prodigy laid the last days will still be working but not very many in Summer. It is like an assembly line. Cars do not stop rolling off the line when parts stop coming in. They stop weeks later when the parts bins are empty.
I have changed Africanized queens. Even if they are not runners, it is not as fun as European.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I didn't miss the point at all! When requeening a AHB hive you don't give them eggs and larva and wait for a queen to emerge and mate. They usually give preference to their own brood and will simply raise another AHB queen. You have to give them a European, mated queen immediately, in order to get rid of the AHB workers at the earliest possible time. Regardless of how you do it you will still have AHB workers for 4-6 weeks after the last of the AHB brood has emerged. I could be wrong; maybe global warming has changed the bees life cycle! :scratch:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would need a lot more practice at spotting unmarked queens before I would even think about it! I think I finally saw my unmarked queen in my strong hive for the first time a few weeks back. I think they superceded in spring. She was running and diving between frames when I saw her too. If my nuc turns up an unmarked queen (I added a caged, marked queen, but heard quacking, so am guessing there is another queen in there) I'll have to practice finding her (and maybe marking her). Only 5 frames to explore there :) and not tens of thousands of bees to piss off :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts