Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Delaware and a new beekeeper. My two 10 frame deep box hives made it though the winter just fine. About 2 to 3 weeks ago i went out to check on them and to add some sugar cakes. I found them alive so i added some cakes. At that time i noticed no burr comb on the inner cover. Today i went out to check on them and found one hive under the inner cover was several large long bur comb with bee brood inside numerous. I did not know what to do so i scraped it off and discarded same. I added two honey supers one to add space for them and one with a queen excluder. What was wrong with the hive and did i do wrong.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If they are in building mode and have space under the lid, they will build comb on it. Sounds like you needed to checkerboard in some new frames so they would build those out instead. I would have taped or rubber banded the brood comb into an empty frame and put it back. No need to lose the brood, especially early in the season. Using a queen excluder while expanding the hive can sometime backfire. Sometimes they will ignore the frames/comb above the excluder. To help them, be sure to include some full frames above the excuder to encourage them to go up there.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
The comb between the inner covere and tops of the frames was probably all drone brood. No harm in scraping it off but it should have been saved for the wax.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Turn the inner cover right side up.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Put both supers over the excluder. The bees need room to store honey, not space for more room for brood. Bees fill all available space, that's why we keep things orderly and tight.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
When I see fresh wax in the spacer ring for the sugar bricks it’s a sign they’re bringing in nectar and it’s time for them to come off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts