Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, y'all,

I tried to install a package today, but the queen was dead. I am getting a replacement queen a couple of days, but what to do in the meantime?

I did put the feeder inside the hive, on the other side of a follower board, that has some gaps on the edges and bottom that the bees can get through. I also put a screen over the entrance hole, so they could not leave.

I can verify that some of them at least are hanging from the top of the hive, but fairly spread out.

Anything else, I should be doing?

Thanks,
Thomas

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Ruthie,

thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I am starting from scratch this year. My friend did give me a caught swarm last week, that's the one I mentioned in another post in the square Lazutin. So I don't have any brood to share.

I am having my doubts that these ladies will survive the cold until the new queen arrives. Was down in the low 40s last night and will be in the 30s tonight. They were festooning last night, but not in a clump, more spread out. We'll see....

Put the queen cage with the dead queen in there. Also, don't you have additional hives? Add a frame of open brood/eggs to the new install. They will start queen cells that you can destroy once the mated queen arrives. (if they don't start queen cells, you had a rouge queen loose in the package)

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,086 Posts
In my experience, when you have a healthy package with a dead queen it almost always because there is a queen loose in the package. Odds are they are queenright.
Better start searching for a queen!

As for the temps, you are entirely fine. With or without a queen the bees will cluster and keep warm. 40 is nothing to worry about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts