Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone:

I am most familiar with helmet and square-front veils (that's what I've used, when I wear head protection), and I am gifted with an extraordinarily thick skull. My hat size is 7 and 3/4ths. My current equipment is wearing out (and my helmet hasn't ever fit all that well). Looking at the offerings in all the vendors I have paper or on-line catalogues for, there aren't any sizes provided for helmets. I'm wondering if any of you who have really, really big heads can tell us about what your experiences are with various helmets...or if you've given up on helmets for other veils and headgear, please tell us about that.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I have a in between headsize of 7 5/8 & 7 3/4 so I've been burned before too.
I use sun helmets from frostproof.com for work and don't have a problem with their sizing. They have a straw model that I had bought and was too light duty, so I hot glued window screening over the vent holes and bought a panel veil for it, you can probably do the same for the plastic model too, although the brim is a full 3".
My stuff's packed away for the winter, pm me if your interested, I'll break it out & see if there's enough adjustment left, they do advertise it being good for 7 3/4 tho.

Barry, if I buy a tulle veil, does the instructions for the secret handshake come with it, or do I wander around bee meetings with it on till someone shows me?

·
Registered
286 Posts
You can ditch the helmet and wear just about any comfortable, stiff brimmed hat that fits in the veil and fits on your head.

Personally, I like the Tulle Veil from Dadant & Sons. I think the veil costs $11. It ties just like the folding veils, but when you get in the truck you can just pull it down around your shoulders. You can wear almost any hat you want with it. Outback hats work nicely. Right now I have a straw hat that fits well. I have worn a ball cap at times.

Have fun out there!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I am using a hardhat - has a wide brim all the way around. Then using one of the veils that fit over those sun style hats that look like the old british bush hats. I have the same issue with the fat head and the vents on my original hat were large enough that the bees stung me quite a few times at one hot hive. They were smaller cell size and after getting a dozen+ stings in the side of the head, I abandoned that.

Also have a bug jacket that is for mosquitos, has fine mesh over an inner layer of netting so it is well ventilated. Over a long sleeve shirt and never been stung. It is made for archer hunting and the screen for looking works well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts