Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning!
I'm a new beekeeper from Long Island with one hive started in May.
The girls seem to be doing OK but I'm worried that this heat is going to take its toll. I restarted feeding them with a quart of sugar water as I think there is nothing much around here blooming. Is anyone else seeing a problem with the heat?

Ma

·
Registered
13 Posts
Heat can be hard on a hive. I have kept bees in the south west for 18 years in temptures over 110 deg. in the summer. I have had hives or honey supers melt down becoming a very messy problem.

Honey can help bees maintain hive tempitures both in the summer and winter. However in the summer if there are not enough bees in the hive or they run out of water to cool there hive you can have melt down. Shade can help alot if you have it. In the south west most of our trees are small and don't provide much shade.

keep the hive strong make sure they have water near by and don't open the hives in the heat of the day. Most of the time heat builds up over time and the bees have time to adjust and they do just fine. build some kind of simple shade structure if you have no shade with a peace of plywood on top of the hive. Us a large rock to keep the plywood from blowing away.

·
Registered
243 Posts
ma-honey

I use a top screen on all my hives,<40> the screen is like the ones on a window with a 3/8 in spacer on each corner to hold up the hive cover.I keep them on year round here in s.c. if the hive is not real strong I will put the inter cover on in the winter. good luck rock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not really seeing any bearding. There seems to be fewer bees on the outside of the hive even though the temps have been high 80s into the 90's. When I went in yesterday there was capped and uncapped brood.I don't think they swarmed, I'm thinking more are dying??They have plenty of water as the hive sits behind the pool and I have trays with rocks and water in front of the hive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes ventilation is improtant. However I think we underestamate the bees ability to vent there hive even in the most extreem situations. I did AHB removal for years both in Tucson and Las Vegas and I was always amazed at bees ability to vent there hives with the smallest of openings. I would do hive removals from atics in the summer time with air temps 110 and hotter. Small entrances into hot atics that would compound the heat. Very few of these wild hives would have melt down. It was always amazing how the bees seem to manage the heat and keep hives vented in what seems extreem situations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts