Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new friends!

I've been lurking on here awhile, figured it was time to get an account and say howdy. Originally from Arkansas, I've somehow made it out to Los Angeles and am a full time fashion designer, part time beekeeper. Yes, in the city. No, not on a roof top. At someone's house. Someone who doesn't have an apt. like me, but a beautiful place with lots of fruit trees, gardens, and now - several hives, some of which are mine.

I have 2 hives - one I started in April from a cut-out of a BBQ hive, and one from another cut-out that is just now big enough to sit in it's own medium box (the smaller one is new, but happy!) This means both hives are from "feral" bees.

My first hive is 4 med's tall and thriving, my 2nd is 1 med tall and I started feeding it this week (we're heading into fall dearth).

I'm running them chemical free and with foundationless frames. So far, so good. :)

I'm excited to be a part of your bee community, and look forward to reading, learning, and meeting you all!

Best,
Summer

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Welcome,
You'll need to be aware of the africanized bees down there. Don't have them in my area yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes...Africanized. The County of Los Angeles believes all feral bees in my area should be considered Africanized. However, as long as precautions are taken (wear a veil and some gloves, silly) and a little bee sense is used (and smoke), they're very easy to work. At least, mine are. And most of the people in the club I belong to keep feral bees. Very few have problems with their hives going hot. Thank goodness, right? :) I hope the Africanized problem really is as overblown and overhyped as I believe it to be.

Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts