Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no brood but quite a few bees . I live in Illinois and wanted to know if I can combine that hive with another this time of year ,November ? Thank You

·
Super Moderator
5,686 Posts
Welcome to Beesource. Straight and to the point, how do you know your hive is queenless? At this time of year, lack of brood or eggs is not an indicator. On the other hand, if you know because you rolled her, or had a late season swarm, then AFAIK you can combine any time it is warm enough that the bees are not clustered. Might be getting a bit cold at night up there.

Even if you are certain they are queenless, it wouldn't hurt to run them through a queen excluder before combining. Just to be sure.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Welcome to Beesource. Straight and to the point, how do you know your hive is queenless? At this time of year, lack of brood or eggs is not an indicator. On the other hand, if you know because you rolled her, or had a late season swarm, then AFAIK you can combine any time it is warm enough that the bees are not clustered. Might be getting a bit cold at night up there.

Even if you are certain they are queenless, it wouldn't hurt to run them through a queen excluder before combining. Just to be sure.
I just requeened a mean hive like that, but through the excluder didn't work, I went back and shook them all out, and put an excluder on the entrance. check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR7rxF0fkGo&t=247s

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ifixoldhouses, What do you mean it didn’t work?

How should one go about adding bees to a hive? Shake them out near the hive and let them walk in?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I'm in the southern part of the state and it's not too late but that window is closing quickly. Best be sure before you make a move, there isn't much time for a do over.

What part of the state are you located?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I went back 5 days later and they were rejecting the queen and roaring, the old queen must have flew in the entrance or something, so I put an excluder on the front and dumped them all out again, this time it worked, they released the new queen.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I went back 5 days later and they were rejecting the queen and roaring, the old queen must have flew in the entrance or something, so I put an excluder on the front and dumped them all out again, this time it worked, they released the new queen.
I have had something similar happen so now when I do a shake out I do it 30 feet or more away from the original hive location. I have spotted queens walking up the side of the shaker box. I also now use an additional deep box above the excluder

I have learned a number of different ways the bees can thwart my efforts! Costs me about $70.00 a trick for a shipped in queen!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts