Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a former beekeeper, I would like to contribute to this site. I remember one year producing 160,000 pounds of honey from 500 colonies of bees. I was thrown into beekeeping due to unforeseen circumstances. I had to learn quickly about foul brood, wax moths, chalk brood, tracheal mites, and varroa mites. During this time, I invented and patented a new beekeeping tool. It is going to be advertised on this site, as the Shizel. It costs a little more than the regular flat tools, but it is well worth it. Also, I am contributing time and funds towards honey bee research. Presently, I am working on a non invasive varroa mite trap. I have had direct contact with the USDA and American Colloid International. I hope it proves to be successful and it can alleviate the stress upon honey bee colonies. I will keep you posted. Thanks to all those who have already supported the cause and will look forward to learning from everyone else on this great site!

Regards,
Don
Biology Teacher

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Don,

I used to keep bees in Cherry and Hooker counties. I wanted to stretch out your way to take advantage of the clover north of there. There were some some pretty impressive blooms in the valley as well. Hope to hear more about your work, welcome aboard.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,199 Posts
I had bees when I lived in Mitchell, NE. Scottsbluff county's valley protects it somewhat, but some winters were still pretty cold and windy... colder even than here in Southeastern Nebraska... Back in the 80's it was -40 F two different winters and one of them it was that everynight for a month and a half... Thanks to global warming, it probably doesn't do that very often anymore. Just -20 F or so maybe?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts