Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Greg
i am happy to be a member of this great Bee Keeping forum, the information on this site is amazing.
I have been a beekeeper for the last 11 years, started with Italians, upgraded to Russians, had 5 hives of them, lost all of my bees 2 years ago to a poor choice the next door farmer made. My bees were working a 20 acre hay field and he sprayed it with roundup.
After that I had some time on my hands so I started building horizontal hives, which I find a heck of a lot easier to work and tried my hand at catching local swarms, caught 5 swarms in 2017 and 9 swarms in 2018 and now I am at 11 hives.
I find the learning curve on beekeeping is extremely steep, my bees are always teaching me new stuff and despite my best intentions will always do it the way they want. Men plan God laughs, or in this case my bees are rolling around with a fit of the giggles.
Thanks Greg

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Hello to you from Oswego Cty. Yes, those bees are always doing something that catch me by surprise. How do you overwinter your bees? Deb

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
These are horizontal hives of my own design, they are 48" long, 32 " deep and 28" wide. The walls have 3 1/2" of insulation and the lid has 4" of foam board. I built a wood master frame that holds a deep and 2 medium frames and the hive will hold 26 of the master frames. There is a screened bottom 1/2" below the frames and a 4" space to the bottom of the hive.
So far my bees have been wintering very well, maybe I am over building but I believe in doing something once and doing it right

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Hi
These are horizontal hives of my own design, they are 48" long, 32 " deep and 28" wide. The walls have 3 1/2" of insulation and the lid has 4" of foam board. I built a wood master frame that holds a deep and 2 medium frames and the hive will hold 26 of the master frames. There is a screened bottom 1/2" below the frames and a 4" space to the bottom of the hive.
So far my bees have been wintering very well, maybe I am over building but I believe in doing something once and doing it right
My friend builds his own long lang’s, similar to yours. He uses lang deeps. He builds his insulation in like you do on all sides. Has sliding luan on the bottom of screened bottom and a place to oxvap the hive. He molded flashing along the edges where the frames rest so they slide and clean more easily. On top of the bars he has 3 pieces of wood with screened vent holes which the bees propolize ) so when he inspects the whole hive isn’t opened up. Keeps the mouse guard on at all times, but shrews can still fit through them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the vents are a contest, I have 2 screened vents that feed up thru the lid and my bees love to seal them off. I made spares so when I do a hive inspection if needed they can be swapped out.
The top bars have 1/8 vent holes that I open up after the bees have clustered.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Yes, the vents are a contest, I have 2 screened vents that feed up thru the lid and my bees love to seal them off. I made spares so when I do a hive inspection if needed they can be swapped out.
The top bars have 1/8 vent holes that I open up after the bees have clustered.
:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts