Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I posted last fall with a rushed call for help in an attempt to save a tree limb hive that had fallen with an impending cold front putting the bees at risk. Well, at that time i crammed on a bunch of research at that time and both bought a hive and also built one when all the bees wouldn't stay in the hive and basically "bearded" outside the hive on cold nights (thought perhaps i had two queens). Anyway, the "rescued" bees left and stole all the honey when they packed up and left. i left the hives out with the empty comb inside in an attempt to try and capture a swarm. About a month ago, I had a swarm come into the built hive, but they moved on after a week. When i checked the hives, i noticed the better built, bought hive had ants in the inside lid. I got rid of those and closed off the crack with melted wax from the smaller emty combs i had, put both hives out at a higher elevation and hoped.

Well, persistance has paid off and now i've got bees in the built hive. They've been there about a week and, in watching them throughout the week, i've noticed they are bringing in either pollen or wax under their wings about mid body and building presumably their combs. I have left them alone and figure i will check on them after a couple of weeks I've check at night and it seems the bees aren't going inside the hive at night. From what I've read, this is because it might be hot for them since the temperature outside during he day is over 90 degrees these days. Another reason is that i may need to add more room for them by adding some stacks (supers) for their honey (and it may help with cooling). Anyway, i came back to learn as much as possible to keep these bees going as strong as they can. Last time i was here, everyone was very helpful.Anyway, here are some pictures of the bees bringing in pollen and also how they are congregating on the "porch" at night. No disco ball yet.....

IMG_6335.jpg IMG_6335.jpg

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Welcome back to Beesource, Breeton. Glad to hear that you were able to snag a swarm- for me that experience never gets old.

While it looks like your photo is still awaiting administrative approval, if it is in-fact bearding it's nothing to be concerned about- here in W. Kentucky bearding and washboarding are in full swing.

Best of luck to you the rest of the season.

Russ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts