Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got my first hive ordered. Just really heavy into the research phase. I've taken an intro class, but besides that I'm brand new!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Welcome!
I lived in AZ for years, NE part of the valley. Never had bee hives but did have bees. I had a lot of eucalyptus trees in the back yard, they loved the nectar or pollen, back then I had no clue, but bees everywhere.

And black widows do not like eucalyptus

Reactions: Cloverdale

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohhh ok cool. You must have been close to the salt and four peaks, nice area! Did you shade your hives at all or were they all day full sun?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Ohhh ok cool. You must have been close to the salt and four peaks, nice area! Did you shade your hives at all or were they all day full sun?
opppppppsssss meant to type NW brain fuzz. My house was up on pinnacle and 51st ave, a acre lot. I did not have bee hives, but had a ton of bees. One time a hive moved in under a non movable deck, real low to the ground. Nasty hive, stung my pups, we deleted it. Many years ago.
When the trees bloomed we had honey bees everywhere in the yard.

I did not start hives until I moved back here to MD

I don't shade them here, all are full sun. We hit 90's quite often with heat index above 100. I am using a ventilation box on top of the hive. This is from mannlake, I made mine using some excess boxes I had laying around and a few of the small supers I had around, cut them in half. Put 3 holes on the long side, two on the short side, covered with door screening and hardware cloth, so bugs and bees can't get in. I also put screening on the bottom of the box to keep the bees out. This sits on top of my inner cover. I use the mannlake winter inner covers, winter flipped over full of sugar, summer flipped over with the feeding tray up. I have used screened inner covers, but the ventilation covers seem to help with anti hive beetles, and they cap their honey faster. We are so humid here.
If sitting right above the frames the bees love to propolize the screening.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hi,

I've got my first hive ordered. Just really heavy into the research phase. I've taken an intro class, but besides that I'm brand new!
One thing I learned pretty fast, don't have just one hive, have at least two. You can save the one with parts from the other. And treat for mites!

Reactions: Fivej

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Welcome to Beesource, B2honey.

In my very humble opinion, your research will likely pay dividends in your beekeeping efforts- at least you can learn from the mistakes the rest of us have made rather than having to make them yourself.

Best of success to you this season- glad to have you a part of the forum.

Russ

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Welcome :)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone! I thought I had email alerts on when I got a reply, whoops!
I have four hives on order.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts