Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I did not intend to be a beekeeper, the bees found me, they set up shop in an old shed wall last summer. Although I was not expecting them to live the winter, I spent my time researching and learning about beekeeping for the last 9 months. I am glad I did as they are still alive today, and I am smitten, the more I learn the more I am amazed at how much I don't know.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Welcome to Beesource, ursa_minor!

Sounds like serendipity that the bees moved in and have survived. Will you plan on simply leaving them in situ and observing up close or do you plan to trap them out and put them in an accessible hive?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Welcome to Beesource Little Bear. When the bees pick you, it is a sign.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Litsinger I have no idea, I am thinking that because they are in a small space I might be able to catch a swarm. I was in contact with our local bee inspector to ask if I could keep them, because I thought that they might need to be inspected, and he said sure, if they survive the winter. I would hate to wreck this spot, it has had bees on and off in it for 15 years and we just left them alone. According to the expert we, in Sask., do not have feral bees, apparently they cannot survive our winters, although this one has done pretty well in, what I consider, a minimally insulated spot. But hey, they have lots of time to die yet. Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I would hate to wreck this spot, it has had bees on and off in it for 15 years and we just left them alone.
Understood- they are fascinating even when only observing from the outside of the hive. As JW pointed out, sounds like they picked you!

Good luck to you in your beekeeping efforts.

Russ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts