Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone from Sacramento, CA. This spring in California has had unusual weather but the bees are doing their best. It seems that there are a lot of first year beekeepers like myself, interest is running high for bees.
I started last fall with planning, I have read 6 books abut beekeeping, read the last several months of ABJ and Bee Culture, have been reading on this site frequently and have joined a local beekeeper association. I have visited mentors apiaries and seen their hives while trying to get a basic knowledge before acquiring my bees.
So far, I am really enjoying myself and my family is showing more interest than anticipated.
I have 4 hives, one started from a package, two started from medium nucs installed into 10 frame medium boxes and 1 deep nuc installed into a 10 frame deep box. I am doing my best to not check the hives too often, so far all the colonies seem to be busy and active.
I am sure I will have questions but I hope my questions are all reasonable.

Paul N

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi from concord. There are several beekeepers from you're area on the forum.
Ray is the first one that comes to mind.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Hi Paul,
Welcome to Beesource!
Are you the same Paul that called me the other day?
Yes, this weather is great! Unless you live in a beehive :eek:
I'll probably see you in the local club meetings.
So do tell, how do you like having bees so far?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ray,
We spoke at one of the beginning classes and very briefly at a SABA meeting. So far I am really enjoying this endeavor. I am sometimes not sure what to expect yet. The hive started from the package is progressing and enlaring faster than the colonies from the nucs.
I am still trying to learn about bees but it has been a real blast so far.
Paul

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Yes, in Serge's class. I remember. Yea, it's an ongoing learning adventure. There is enough variety in beekeeping to keep a person interested for a long time. My number is on the Mentor and Members list in SABA so feel free to call anytime you might want to talk about bees, it will not be an inconvenience for me at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts