Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My Name is Art Hickman and I live in Kane County IL. When I was in high school I worked for a beekeeper as a swarm catcher in Southern California and kept a hive in my back yard.

Now that I am close to retirement, I am going to start beekeeping again and will have my first beehive this year. I have most of the equipment already, and hopefully my package bees will show up around May 20th.

If you have bees and are anywhere near Carpentersville (90 and 31) I would love to meet you and see your bees.

Thanks
Art

·
Premium Member
12,000 Posts
Welcome, Art. I'm looking forward to the day I retire and have the time to keep a bunch of hives going. I've been up and down with hive numbers correlating to the busyness of life. Not too far from you (59 and 64) so drop me a line when you get your bees.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Barry!
Will do.......supposedly they ship on May 19th. Had I known what I know now I would have ordered a NUC from a local supplier.
I know I am going to get bit pretty bad by the beekeeping bug and so I hope a couple of my friends who live on farms will let me keep bee's on their places.
C'Ville only allows 1 per lot (for now)
Thanks
Art

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi Art, I live in Bartlett and my brother lives in Sleepy Hollow. Both of us keep bees. If you'd like to swing by let me know. I'd love to chat.

By the way, I'm going to make my first split this year. I lost two of my four hives over the winter so would like to get back to four hives again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KHass15

Thanks for the nice welcome. We are only a couple of minutes from Sleepy Hollow and Bartlett, would love to come by and see both of your setups.
What are the rules for keeping bee'sin Sleepy Hollow? I have a friend who may let me put a hive on their place.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Unluckily after taking a couple of Climate Change classes, we may end up seeing more winters like this one over the next decade.

Talk to you soon.
Art

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
I'm new in beekeeping(have 4 families wintering now). Carpentersville (IL), bad we can have only one hive on our yard.
Looking for any one who could have Goldenrod honey for sale?. Any one know a bee yard in Carpentersville area, where we can keep 2-5 hives ?.

chris z

·
Registered
75 Posts
welcome Art, I hate to rush my life away but looking forward to retirement in a couple of years to devote to bees.
good luck

Stumpy Lake Bee Farm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts