Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my first ever package on Friday. 3 lbs of Italians in a 10 frame deep. Day 3 and they seem to be active now (mid day) was worried as the queen only came with a plug and not a candy side and didn't see activity last night or this morning. But they are out and about today. Will check on them tomorrow to make sure she made it out. I have the syrup can out close by as I only have the one box though I have an entrance feeder in there with 1:1. Anyhow wish me luck I think the weather here in Hayden is going to make it a challenge to keep them going through the winter but going to make a go of it when the time comes. :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome! I over-winter nearly 100% sucessfully in Deer Park, WA, so you can do it in Hayden.

It was a good day for flying today, though a little windy, so glad to hear they were out. They will not be active at night or early/late day.

I would consider getting a top feeder or inline feeder. The entrance feeder invites robbing, and the yellow jackets around here are tenacious. Also, they will do better if you offer much more syrup, and a higher feed rate, to them than the entrance feeder provides. Typically a package will take down several gallons of syrup while gettign established.

But the good news is that I am seeing the flow here already, so that helps too.

You wil need a second box soon, probably in less than a month.

Regarding the queen cage, it would have been better to remove the plug and put a marshmallow in the hole. But what is done is done, make sure you free her tomorrow.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bushpilot - appreciate the input as there's so much to learn. I was hoping to hear from someone local!

I was planning to install another deep this weekend and top feed more syrup and a protein pack. additional to the 2nd box, would I then use 1 or maybe a 2nd medium honey super? The 2nd determined by how full the 1st gets? Lots to learn but enjoying it!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Add the second deep when the first is 80% drawn with comb.

You probably won't need the supers this year, but same principle, add when the previous is 80% drawn. Remove the syrup before adding any honey supers.

I wouldn't bother with the protein pack if you see pollen going into the hive. There is plenty of pollen around.

Also, a correction of my first post - I wish I overwintered at 100%, but the number is actually about 75%. In my enthusiasm to encourage, I overstated my results, sorry.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Welcome to Beesource, PRobee. Best of success to you with your bees this year.

Russ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone So today (5-10-2020) is day 9 since I installed the bees. I did check on the 4th day and the queen did make it out of her package. I've been observing for several days and see a lot activity with bees coming into the hive. Am wondering If I should lift the lid and check on them or let them go a little longer? I did pick up a 2nd box with frames but thought I might install it on top with a middle board with a center hole cut in it to feed a mason jar of syrup. I don't want to bother them if they are doing OK on their own!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another 'Hello' from Washington. I too am a newbee, a bit further away in the Okanogan Valley. I put in four nucs from Spokane. I took the beekeeping course from Inland Empire Beekeepers Association. I'm a member, but it's a bit far for me to make meetings. Their website is https://www.iebees.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts