Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a northern beekeeper of 10 years who has given up on southern bees, drugs and miticides. I haven't given treatments of any kind in 4 years and and currently working on the transition to foundationless. I aquire stock from swarms, cut-outs, and bee trees and and try to perpetuate the kinds of bees I want from this. When I don't have my face in the hive, I'm a certified hemodialysis technician, husband, and father who enjoys camping, mtn. biking, running, kayaking and just about anything else that involves playing outdoors.:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Howdy i'm in NE PA also and have the same philosophy about southern bees. All mine are from cutouts.Are you involved in the susquehanna beekeeper's?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hey melliphile,
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have some great bees, hope you will share some experiences.
I grew up down river from you, seveal miles outside of Shickshinny.
Once again Welcometo the forum.
Ski

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Welcome,
You're in good company here, there are a lot of treatment free beekeepers on the forum. This is our second year, & we haven't treated yet.
We do use powdered sugar, & honey bee healthy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Howdy i'm in NE PA also and have the same philosophy about southern bees. All mine are from cutouts.Are you involved in the susquehanna beekeeper's?
I haven't been to any of their meetings yet. Back when I first started I lived in the Lehigh Valley and attended both Lehigh Valley meetings and Bucks County meetings. Maybe I'll check out your September meeting.

Ski,
Thanx for the welcome, I'm familiar with your stomping grounds. I practically wore a path on Rt. 11 some years ago. Beautiful country along the river and the hills O' Shikshinny.

KQ6AR,
I do feed when necessary. Last year was so crappy here, I had to feed because they just didn't have the stores to make it. But that's where I draw the line. I've used HBH in the past and I liked it fine, but it got tossed with all my other hive "additives." With or without the HBH, I think it's important that beekeepers stop listening to drug companies and start listening to their bees. Bravo and good luck on going tx-free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts