Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a super newbee! I heard some friends talking about fresh honey and one thing lead to another, two weeks later after countless hours of research, reading, and YouTube videos I'm obsessed! I don't quite have the land required for beekeeping and it's too late in the season to even consider starting. I plan on getting the woodware and other stuff necessary over the course of the winter and asking the neighbors to use their lot next year. In the meantime, I'm super interested in finding a local mentor beek who would be willing to let me ask questions, observe, visit a bee yard and help out the rest of the season! I'm located in SE Canton and would totally love to get my hands dirty and be sure this is a passion I'm willing to pursue. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Southeastern Ohio. Glad you joined us.

Do some searching or asking around if there is a bee club in your area. I found this is one of the best sources of information available.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am a first year beek about an hour north of you. I presently have three TBH. I would be happy to have you up to check them out and see if maybe you want to go that route. I was in your position this time last year. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! i never tried keeping bees in an apartment or condo though some do. Beekeeping only needs a ten by ten foot space. The bees will forage for miles and few of us own 12 square miles or more.
Thank you! I do live in a house on a small lot so if I really wanted to, I could possibly get away with a couple hives. Unfortunately, my mother is slightly allergic. While it isn't a life or death allergy, she swells up and it causes overall severe discomfort. My neighbor across the street owns a large half acre plot with a small garage that never gets used. I plan on talking to them later in the month and see how they would feel. Plenty of forage in the surrounding area including corn fields, alfalfa, milkweed, goldenrod, and countless other bee goodies!

Welcome to the forum from Southeastern Ohio. Glad you joined us.

Do some searching or asking around if there is a bee club in your area. I found this is one of the best sources of information available.
Hey, thanks! Where at in Southern Ohio? I find myself down that way sometimes. So far, this forum has been a wealth of useful, applied knowledge. Digging it so far!

I am a first year beek about an hour north of you. I presently have three TBH. I would be happy to have you up to check them out and see if maybe you want to go that route. I was in your position this time last year. Good luck.
Wow, thank you for that! I'll take you up on that offer soon. Southern Cleveland area? This weekend is busy and I have a three day FTX with my Nat'l Guard unit next weekend, so perhaps later in the month or early September? I'll be in touch!

Welcome, I grew up in Avon
KQ6AR, KD8LCQ over! Nice to see a fellow HAM on here! I love the Avon area, I have passed through a few times and it seems lovely. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am leaving for three weeks on Monday but anytime when you get back you are welcome to come up. I am in painesville right on Lake Erie.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
There are several hams on beesource. Put you're call sign into you're signature file & they will find you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts