Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a new first year beekeeper in middle Tennessee. I’ve bought hives and packages of bees and now I’m on the road to what I fear may become an addiction. I’ve done a lot of reading and quite a bit of YouTube watching and asked lots of questions from the few people I know that have had or currently keep bees. Hopefully maybe there are a few Tennesseans on here that won’t be shy and give me shout back.

I used to have saltwater aquariums and while I was into those I quickly became addicted and realized I was spending what felt like the better part of my paychecks on tanks.

Welp, new wife and a new hobby as well. I’ve wanted to get into beekeeping for a while, and I finally convinced the wife to let me pull the trigger. This time around I’m on a strict budget (unless I can sneak a purchase or two). The treasury department in my household is almost as bad as the IRS. I’ve started my first two hives and as of last weekend everything was moving along well. I’ve got eggs, larvae, capped brood and quite a bit of drawn out comb started. I’m hoping I have some new nurse bees this coming weekend. I’m ready to see my little girls fly! 😜

If you’re in Tennessee, hit me up! I’d love to pick the brains of some experienced beekeepers.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Welcome! Lots of friendly folks from Tennessee here. Just ask if you need advice.

Your comment about the treasury dept made me laugh. Pretty much the same here, but my wife seems to have decided she likes the bees, so it's gotten a bit looser, though she still doesn't want to do anything with them. In 4 years I have spent maybe $500 on them, and I try to do everything I can myself, making wooden boxes in the garage. I think if you have the mindset that let you successfully keep saltwater fish, you won't have much trouble getting up to speed with bees.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
HHF2020:

Welcome to Beesource from your neighbor to the North.

Beekeeping is certainly addicting, and I sincerely hope that your year succeeds your expectations.

Our own PatBeek has successfully used aquariums as hives, so if you have spare equipment from your previous hobby laying around, you might be able to repurpose it:

https://www.youtube.com/user/VaxFilms/search?query=aquarium

1 - 3 of 3 Posts