Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello. new beekeeper (soon) from union city, the most densely populated city in the u.s. my bees are coming in may. they’ll be on a rooftop overlooking the palisades with a view of manhattan.

i’ve been lurking around here for months reading everything i can; reading everything from michael bush, kirk webster, taking jim fischer’s bee class; following dean, laurie/ramona, sam comfort; visiting a few beekeepers when i find them. i don’t mind admitting i’m just about overwhelmed with all the little fears of a new beehive: fear of that awkward first installation; fear of killing my bees; fear of starving them, feeding too little; fear of feeding too much; fear of varroa destructor; fear of treatments; fear of not treating; fear of the weather; fear that urban rooftop hives are a fad; and fear that i just won’t be able to take the stings.

but i’m trying to face those fears with stoic determination. jim fischer told me that once you open up that hive and start working WITH your bees, the craziness fades away and there is stillness in the buziness of the hive. to be part of something big and small at the same time… i’ll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hey! Welcome! I'm currently living up the river in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. I just called city hall to find out if there are any ordinances governing the keeping of bees. They'll 'get back to me'. I think you're going to have a great time, and will enjoy it immensely.

What kind of equipment will you be using? Are you all set up and ready?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi knisely, i didn't want to attract too much attention by calling city hall, but i did read the city code cover-to-cover (it's not that long). nothing about bees. there is a section on keeping birds: chickens and pigeons. they are ok as long as they are 25' away from a property line. and nj state only requires you to register or get inspected if you are selling queens or transporting your bees across state lines. so i think i'm good. but i do have a plan B for a foster home if it all goes upside down.

still assembling equipment. all 8-frame mediums. i have a roof hatch i'll have to fit through from time to time.

thanks michael, looking forward to it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome! I am in Morris County NJ & I too am just starting this new adventure. 2 nucs coming in last week of April or first week in May....if this cold weather ever breaks! I am nervous too but excited! I am wondering what do do as far as mite control because we seem to be getting started late in this area with new hives. I will be going to a NJBA mtg tomorrow night & luckily the topic is Varrroa Mite Control. Have you joined the NJBeekeeping Association? I believe there are 6 or 8 chapters in NJ. We can do this! Enjoy
Moonflower

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Hi mpgreer!

Welcome to the forum...

Are you attending Jim's class in person or are you following it online?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi beecurious,

jim's classes are very hard to get tickets to attend in person. it's a small room i guess. so i've been to a couple in person, and streamed the rest from home.

and hey moonflower, i ended up joining the new york city beekeepers. it's closer to where i live. and they'll probably be dealing with some of the same urban issues i will. but i follow the ne nj beekeepers on facebook, youtube, etc.

thanks for the welcomes

·
Registered
557 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I started last year and bought a complete hive with newly installed bees because it was less intimidating than a package. It helped me a lot. Now that I've had a few stings, I'm not nearly as worried about them. With two hives and not knowing what I wAs doing, only got a total of about six stings for the year. The first time got 4 at once. I parked too close to the hives and took the suit off too soon. Even 4 stings at a time was not bad. Not nearly as bAd as one wasp. I have a full suit with zip up veil for major work in the hives. I just use veil and gloves and a heavy shirt to take quite look.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I experience some if not all of the same fears when we dove into bees. The first couple of interactions can be nerve racking, not being sure what to do or what to expect, even after reading and being told what to expect. I found that every time I opened the hive I got more comfortable, and one time a little too comfortable (remember the smoker is your friend even if you only plan to open the hive for a second!). By the end of last year, which was my first, I was confident that I could handle the hive even if I still didn't know all the answers.

Enjoy the experience, it can be a little addictive. I can't wait for it to warm up a couple more degrees so I can get back to work!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts