Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say hi!
I live in Brooklyn and just got my first hive this spring. I'm a total beginner and Beesource has been a really good resource for me but I'm just getting around to joining it now. I'm still learning how to use the forum but I saw that this was the place to introduce yourself.
I'm a bit nervous going into winter but hoping for the best.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Welcome. Hopefully you are treating your varroa mites and making sure your colony has adequate stores to survive thru the long cold winter.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Just wanted to say hi!
I live in Brooklyn and just got my first hive this spring. I'm a total beginner and Beesource has been a really good resource for me but I'm just getting around to joining it now. I'm still learning how to use the forum but I saw that this was the place to introduce yourself.
I'm a bit nervous going into winter but hoping for the best.
Welcome.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome, I am from Upstate NY Finger Lakes area. My first year also. It is nerve wracking for sure. I just added 3 one gallon cans of feed to my hive as it is a bit light. Hoping the weather stays warm enough for them to bring it down into the hive. I have done a few things wrong, so keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Welcome, I am in the western Catskills. Enjoy your beekeeping, it seems there is never a full moment. Deb

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
475 Posts
Welcome. The first year is a nail biter. Getting on top of mites is priority 1 closely followed by feeding to winter weight. Once you’ve successfully over wintered your hives it gets less stressful. I’m a 3rd year and just put hives to bed in 6a.

I use Bee Cozy wraps, vivaldi quilt boxes and foam insulation on top. Also cut pieces of white coroplast from Home Depot that sits on top (giving me an extra 4 inches all around) as an awning to keep rain and snow off the hives. That’s weighed down by a concrete block. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like the idea of the coroplast to keep the rain and snow off the hives. I will be trying that as I have some old signs that I have collected that will be perfect.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Welcome to Beesource, Clara. We are glad you decided to join-up.

Hopefully your colony will overwinter just fine- regardless I'd suggest the year has been successful if they have made it thus far so you are doing something right!

Best of success to you this Winter, and again welcome to the forum.

Russ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts