Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My name is Joseph and I am new to keeping bees, I live in Dutchess county in New York and have raised poultry for decades.
I have been thinking of raising bees for about four years now and finally made the move to do so I picked up my first package of Italian bees on Tuesday this week and installed the same day 3:30 PM plan to inspect to see if the queen was released on Friday.
I was amazed and fascinated watching the new bees and hope to be successful I have followed this forum for a while and just registered
Thank You
Joseph

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome. You are commencing a wonderful journey. Your next task, like tomorrow, should be to give the bees a single Apivar strip to control varroa. As there are no sealed brood, you can remove and dispose of it after five days. Good luck, and keep in touch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Mr Spear
I was going to use Apiguard gel would that be OK?
I hope the weather gets better a lot of thunder storms tomorrow.
Saturday may be a better day to do my first inspection sixties mostly sunny that would make it four days since installing the package
I am so excited but it may be prudent to wait one more day I am thinking of my bees welfare
You made me fell welcome thank you

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Welcome, and Mr Spear has excellent advice! Find a Bee Club to join, there are a few by you. Check out Empire State Honey Producers Assoc. websites for a list of Clubs. Have fun.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Welcome to Beesource. Don't be too anxious to get into your hive so soon. I know it is hard, but give the bees a chance to get settled and start drawing some comb. Giving them a strip of Apivar is a good way to get rid of any mites they might have brought with them. Also, make sure you are feeding to get that first comb drawn.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Joseph:

Welcome to Beesource- hopefully your package is now off to the races.

Best of luck to you this year.

Russ

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome to the most enjoyable and frustrating endeavor I have ever tried, and so far semi succeed. This is my 3rd year and all my hives made it through but learn something new every time. I am just over the hill from you in pleasant valley

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, four days queen released and nectar and pollen on some drawn comb, still could not locate queen hope to see some eggs soon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts