Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone. I am brand new to this amazing world of bees. At this point I consider myself more of a bee haver than a beekeeper. I can't wait to gain from all the years of experience gathered here and hopefully contribute at some point. I recieved my first nuc of Sascatraz Bees last sunday and moved them to a deep 10 frame wed. Other than some feeder issues they seem to be doing well so far.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
Welcome to Beesource PalelO. If you stick with it, you will find keeping bees a very rewarding experience.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I live in the NE corner. We are considered the high plains. Mostly grasslands with some pinon/juniper canyonlands mixed in.
PaleIO:

Welcome to Beesource- I grew up in NE New Mexico and still consider it one of the most picturesque places in the US. I am always glad when I get to go back for a visit. Have you run across any feral colonies living in old homesteads? When I was a kid we had two persistent colonies near where I lived and I enjoyed just watching them do their thing.

Best of success to you in your beekeeping efforts- hopefully you are getting a little rain to help things along this year.

Russ

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Litsinger- you are correct it is a great place to live (most days) yesterday we had 50mph winds most of the day. My bee activity was zero until early evening. We desperately need some rain as it is really starting to dry out and fire danger is increasing daily. We currently have a 12,000 ac fire burning in the county I grew up in and could smell strong smoke at my house 80 miles from it. I wondered if that may have contributed to my bees inactivity yesterday? I have never run into feral bees at old homesteads but will definitely keep a lookout while out and about. I tend to stop at old homesteads often and look for antiques and such. Just don't ask my wife she thinks it's mostly junk... Haha

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I tend to stop at old homesteads often and look for antiques and such. Just don't ask my wife she thinks it's mostly junk... Haha
It is interesting history to look in those old places that appear suspended in time- just reminds me how hard it is to make a living in that environment, particularly when your livelihood is tied to the rain. I do hope you get some Summer rainfall, and best of luck to you with your bees.

Russ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts