Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Dan here! I'm just getting started with two package bees,all new equipment,and hives.Major disappointment already. One of the colonies disappeared today.I,ll use this forum to try and find out if I made a mistake or what went wrong Anyway, good luck too all of you!

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
What steps did you use to put the package bees in the hive?
Did you have the whole hive there ready to seal up or run to get a missing piece?
Did you take the syrup can out of the package and put it on the new hive?
Did you remove the queen cage from the package and put it in the new hive?
Did you release the queen from the cage?
Did you shake the bees in the hive or place the bees cage and all in the hive?
Were there frames in the hive?
Did they have foundation, comb, or nothing?Was the hive still together when you determined they were missing?
Is the queen still in the cage in the hive?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the procedure I used.I had a 9 frame deep brood box using no foundation. I shook the bees into the box.The queen cage was secured to a frame and the hive was closed.No problems,bees were very calm.I transfered the syrup into a jar and onto an entrance feeder.This was late saturday afternoon.Tuesday afternoon I released the queen into the hive entrance with the top closed as per instructions provided by the supplier.There was comb being drawn on three frames.The syrup was being consumed and pollen was observed being brought into the hive.Wednesday afternoon upon coming home from work I saw no activity,opened the hive and it was empty except for about a dozen bees.The queen was not among them.I have learned elsewhere on this forum that the recent painting of the hive may have been an issue.The second of my two packages was installed in the same manner but with foundation on 10 frames.I appreciate your response and the valuable information relayed on this great site.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Welcome BigD from BooneCo. Too bad about the hive. Sounds like they didnt like the place for some reason. I've used a queen "excluder" method on a new swarm before or a few days. maybe the empty frames or the paint? We have a few bee clubs west of you and Springfield has a fun group too. Come on over!
I'd recomend you try and get on a swarm call list and catch a swarm or 2 to fill that empty box!!! contact the local dept of conservation. they seem to get the calls fwded to them. Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion.I was also wondering if my other colony built up large enough,would I be able to do a split at some time later this year?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts