Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into apiary as a new hobby. Been reading all I can get my hands on. Relitives left us a hive when they passed. Trying to decide if we are up for the challenge ... so far ferry interested

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am reading "Langstroths given and honey bees a bee keepers manual " it is enthralling! I cannot say how much I have learned so far it is more than I can tell. I am considering this year putting our hive out and attempting to lure a swarm. Since I have not ordered any bees and the is on us. We will be checking the supplies today hopefully to be sure we have all the pieces we need. I believe from how the hive was descried to me it is a Langstroth hive. I am trying to locate a local beekeeper as mentor. The university of Missouri has a nice web site that offers both info and mo beekepers contact info. Seems a good place to start anyway...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are in south-central mo. The closest large city is Jefferson city which is 45 minutes west from here. St Charles is almost 2 hrs east. There is a small town 20 minutes away called Linn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi! You will love it. I am outside of Odessa, MO. I would look for a bee club/association. Are you in town or in the country? I began keeping bees in the heart of Kansas City. If you are in town you may need to do some research about having bees in your yard. Most neighbors will be ok with it as long as you give them some honey later on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So...went to the old homestead and found all the equipment ... 3 soupers... 9 shallows tons of insert frames. Beeswax starters... 2 smokers.... a heated knife.... 2 years 1974 & 75 bee culture magazine.... several. Other things as well.... looks like we are in great shape to begin our apiary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts