Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Some info about me and my hives. I've been wanting to do some beekeeping for several years. For christmas, my wife got me a 10 frame setup, and a beekeeping class that I took over the winter. I purchased 2 Nucs from my local apiary. The first Nuc was set up mid April. The second was set up late May, early June. The first Nuc is doing extremely well. I've had to add another deep on top which is now also full as of my inspection this past saturday. I'm not sure what to do with this hive currently. I've ordered a honey super that should be arriving this week, but I'm concerned about swarming, and I'm not sure what to do.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi Everyone,

... but I'm concerned about swarming, and I'm not sure what to do.
Relax & take a deep breath...

Ok, now remember that this is supposed to be fun. If they have made up their mind to swarm they will tell you by making swarm cells. If you don't see any of those started you should be fine until later in the week.

Generally, 1st year nucs don't swarm. Not saying it doesn't happen though. Crowded hives are good up until they decide to swarm.

If you are in complete freak out you could trade spots for the hives and it will build the smaller at the expense of the bigger. Personally, I wouldn't do that though.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Fellsway:

Welcome to Beesource- I echo Steve's feedback that relaxing and having fun are important parts of beekeeping (at least for me).

The other thing I would point out is that while swarming is disappointing it is typically not the end of the world and it means that your colony is strong and healthy.

With any luck (and a little extra equipment) you might even catch the swam and increase your apiary numbers- not to minimize the good and legitimate reasons to forestall swarming.

Best of luck to you this year, and I encourage you to:

1. Take advantage of the 'Beekeeping 101' forum to research / ask questions.

2. Hopefully find a local mentor who can give you good feedback specific to your locale.

Russ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm definitely more relaxed now. I put my Nuc out near the hives with some frames in it just in case they decide to swarm. I'll be doing another inspection this weekend. I didn't see any swarm cells last weekend, so I just think it's a REALLY successful hive. I have my honey super coming in this week as well so I'll put that on. I'll also look in the Beekeeping 101 forum. I appreciate the kind words. Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey neighbor, I'm not far from you. It has been a *challenging* swarm year for me as well. Lost my best queen to the first swarm. From two hives we saw 4 swarms total, and caught 2. Made a lot of mistakes as well along the way. Still getting it sorted, but bees are good at being bees, so it tends to work out eventually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts