Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I got hooked on local honey then decided to jump into the beekeeping world. I'm amazed at the amount of information available. My wife has made it clear that these will be her bees, I'm just along for the ride, and to do the heavy lifting.
"We will try out one hive and decide how we like it.", she said. That was months ago. We couldn't decide between trying a top bar hive or langstroth so we are going to start with two langstroth hives and one top bar. We are going to try one langstroth hive with foundation and one without. A local beekeeper is going to help me catch a few swarms and walk us through his hives this spring. The hives will be in our 3 acre backyard. Hive management should be a short walk.
Thanks for the resources here, I've been reading a ton and I think its starting to sink in.
Can't wait to get started. I will post lots of "new guy" pictures and questions. My wife and I will have a blast and hopefully find some honey somewhere along the line. She's already agreed they should be "our" bees, but I still have to build everything.
:D

·
Registered
817 Posts
Welcome, A lang/long hive is an option. you get to have a top bar type hive, but the frames will interchange with your regular lang hives.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts