Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to drop a quick post and introduce myself here.
I am a first time beekeeper and have already had an interesting start.
I picked up my package on Monday and introduced them to the hive last evening. Overnight last night we had somewhat unexpected bad weather with 77 mph winds. Woke up around 1 am with a sick feeling in my stomach and went to check on the hive after the really bad wind went away. They were still standing and seemed to be doing ok. There were 5 little bees clustered on the downwind side of the box looking at me like "what the heck is that?".
I was relieved to see they were fine again this morning, but we have more weather headed our way, so I'm really hoping we can make it through the next several days without issue.
Anyway, I figured this would be an adventure, but its exceeding my expectations.
Other than the wind and rain, I had no idea how cool this hobby would be until I actually started working with them. Cant wait to do more.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome aboard. Im also a new beekeeper in Iowa. Cedar Rapids.
Ran afoul of the cities ordinance against beekeeping. So hives are
on hold until next year.

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

> bad weather with 77 mph winds.

:eek:

What kind of lid retention system do you employ? :D Bricks are popular, but 1 or 2 might not be enough!

·
Super Moderator
11,003 Posts
I admit that I thought about linking one of those threads, but decided it was best to be more subtle for the Welcome Forum! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That stinks. If you lived closer, I could tell you about a guy who wants bees on his property for pollination.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lid retention = Pine trees!
I was lucky enough to pick a really good spot that saw a fraction of the wind. The hive is tucked into a clearing of my grove. Even still, I was amazed that the lid didn't blow miles away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok, my intuition is pretty good. I have them on a pallet and was seriously considering strapping them down to it if the winds kept going the way they were.
Right now things are calm, but if they pick up again, I will go ahead and do that.
I can only imagine how much grief I would get if I brought them into the house.
Thanks! :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts