Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm from Germany - about 60km east of Frankfurt/Main.

Currently I have 16 hives, mostly 12-frame Dadant hives. During this year I grew annoyed with those hives - preparing the frames at the start of the season and cleaning them at the end, moving the supers around, worrying weather or not the bees have already started building in the supers, etc.

Also I don't have much space around my house and my bees are a couple of miles away storing the supers and bringing them to the bees was really an issue.

So I build myself some long hives. Same frame size, just longer and I really like them. No need for supers, feeding can be done by simply putting a bucket with sugar water behind the follower board and there is still enough room to store some additional frames.

Unfortunately the lid and especially the isolated inner cover is awkward to move. So I thought I could add some sort of hinged roof and that started another round of - how could that be simplified. I then learned that a commerial beekeeper here in Germany uses TBHs and he mentioned that one of the reasons for a TBH was, that that avoided the trouble with preparing and cleaning frames.

So I started to look into hTBHs and found that they probably would be a good fit for me. I already have long hives, I'm only using starter strips no foundation, and I normally don't relocate hives. So except for the frames it's not all that different to a hTBH.

In the meantime I've read Phils Chandlers book, Wyatt Mangum's Book and everything else I could find about TBHs. I'm planing on build a few TBHs over the winter and transfer some of my existing hives next year.

Regards
Ben

P.S. I've recently subscribed to Phil Chandlers Forum - yet there doesn't seem to by much going on - so this intro is a copy from a post I made there recently - just in case somebody wonders why it's the exact same wording.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Welcome to Bee Source. There's a top bar hive thread here that should give you lots of info.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Ben:

Welcome to Beesource- though I am not a TBH beekeeper, I have found Dr. Mangum's observations particularly helpful, especially as regards colony dynamics. I imagine that top-bar hives give one a unique perspective into what a colony might do when afforded more latitude in developing their broodnest and peripheral stores.

If you haven't already, you might also check-out Dr. Leo Sharashkin's work: https://horizontalhive.com/index.shtml

I'll look forward to reading about your your beekeeping adventures-

Russ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts