Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my name is Brent and I have been fascinated by honeybees since I was a boy. I will turn 32 next month. I just sent in my membership and I plan on coming to the meetings soon. I hope to find beekeepers in Citrus Heights and nearby areas that would like me to help them lift some hives for them while they share their knowledge of beekeeping with me.

I once met a guy at a SABA booth at my parents church in Citrus Heights on a special disaster preparedness day. He really seemed like he wanted me to come help him move his boxes because of his back. I gave him my name and email, but I haven't heard back from him. This was probably a year ago.

I am sort of a disabled person. I have social phobia, and a driving phobia. I am more uncomfortable with the idea of large groups of people at the meetings than handling a hive of bees. If any of you live in Citrus Heights and can take me with you to the meetings it would save me from asking a family member to take me and wait to take me back.

I am reading a ton of stuff online about bees, and Just bought Beekeeping for Dummies and the Backyard Beekeeper. I also used the coupon in the back of Beekeeping for Dummies for half off a subscription to Bee Culture magazine.

With a little training I would love to go along and help someone gather bees that have started a hive in a place they aren't wanted, such as a home or school, but the other volunteer options like working a SABA booth at an event are not my cup of tea as a social phobic.

If your wondering if a guy like me should handle bees, every year when they are pollinating the apple trees in my parents back yard I go right up to the trees and let them fly all around me while I watch them. I won't know how I do handling an actual hive until I give it a try.

Don't count me out yet. let me give it a whirl. I am pretty determined to get out there and get involved. -Brent

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't realize this message board is popping up in a frame on the Sacramento Area Beekeepers associations website. I thought this was a message board for that group.

Nice to meet all of you. For those of you who don't know, Citrus Heights is in Sacramento County.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi Brent,
Welcome, wish I lived as close to Mann Lake as you do.
I go to meetings down here in Walnut Creek, don't think you'll have any trouble being comfortable we the beekeeping crowd. Very easy going people.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Brent - Welcome to the bees! I live in Galt, just about 40 mins South of you. If there is anything I can do, let me know. I have been all over our area this year collecting bees, including up your way, but mostly South to Stockton, but will call you if I get another call up your way. You have 1 bee store near you in downtown called Sacramento Beekeeping, they are just off the corner of X and 21st street. Lots of one way streets down there, so be careful. Another one is up in Woodland and is called Mann Lake. Send me a private message if you would like more information or if there is anything else I can help ya with.

C2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded. I am excited about getting into Beekeeping. I am looking forward to attending my first Sacramento Beekeepers Association meeting in a couple of weeks.

I am helping a neighbor lady do some cleaning along side the road Thursday. She always keeps things alongside the road by her house looking nice. I mentioned I wanted to have a hive and she said she might let me put one in her backyard. She does however leave next to a very busy 4 lane road, and a creek runs behind her house. Skunks are pretty common and I read they eat bees. It might now be the best place. My mother doesn't want a hive in her backyard. I'm keeping an eye out for a place.

When I first posted on this board I thought that this board was part of the Sacramento area Beekeepers Association website because it was in a frame on their site. I am hoping to meet some people in or near Citrus Heights who wouldn't mind taking me with them to the meeting.

I am checking out some good bee multimedia. There are some good videos about bees and Beekeeping. I also checked out some podcasts, but it seems a lot of people who do videos and podcasts are beginners who say they have only been doing it a year or two and they lost their hive last year. I'm trying to find podcasts and videos by people who have been doing it for many years and know what they are doing.

I am enjoying switch-reading Beekeeping for Dummies (2009 edition) and The Backyard Beekeeper (2010 edition). Amazing books:banana: They both have different good points to them. I looked at a lot of books online and I think I picked two good ones. I also saw a few I didn't get because they are at the library.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I read beekeeping for dummies cause it came with some equipment I aquired eariler this year and thought it was a great book, easy to read and understand. Anytime someone tells me they want to get into bees, I tell them to get that book and read it first. I have not checked out the other one yet, but probably will soon since I read everything about bees I can get my hands on.

C2

1 - 8 of 8 Posts