Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting my second year and having a blast after a very successful first season. Planning on increasing my hives to 4 this year. I practice "Natural" beekeeping, no medicine, no chemicals. My favorite source for info thus far besides my Bee Mentor is Ross Conrad's book, "Natural Beekeeping". Things look good so far, on warm days they are out in mass. I left 80 pounds in the hive for them, being mainly interested in having the bees survive till spring, although they also rewarded me with another 50 pounds that I took off in October. My main focus now is increasing the number of hives as well as planting as many food crops for them as possible during all seasons. The more diverse the better. Even though I read for years before taking the plunge, my mind is open to learning whatever I can from whoever I can. Looks like a great place, and now I have a LOT of reading to do!:D

·
Registered
629 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on a good start. I'm only a year ahead of you and I went from 2 to 4 last season. I split both of my hives to get 4. The downside is I got very little honey. Some one told me an adage that goes, you can produce honey OR bees. This year I will only split half of my hives. Check out mdasplitter.com. and look at a Youtube presentation of his methods. His website was kind of confusing so youtube helped. Good Luck.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Welcome TV...
and yes there's lot to read here...
I also intend to use the mda splitter system ...
I'll try to make honey with part of my hives and splits throughout the year with
the others...:)
good luck!!

==McBee7==

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. This was a great place to stumble on, I have been reading constantly and already feel smarter...LOL. We are in our second deep freeze of the season, they made it fine through the last one, I am hoping this one will have the same results. Spending my time now staining and varnishing new hives to pass the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts