Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Bryan and near College Station, Texas. When I bought my home ten years ago, I had more honey bees and hummingbirds than I could feed. Now, I never see more than one at a time of either. I can't help but wonder if the decline in hummingbirds is in some way related to the decline in honey bees. I joined Beesource to learn how to get the honey bee population in my area back to the numbers nature intended. I value any and all suggestions, and have no prior experience with beekeeping.

bob
bryan, texas

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome. :thumbsup:

You have an EXCELLENT club near you: The Central Texas Beekeepers Association. You may want to contact them. They are located in Brenham ("the place that cows call heaven") and their president is a member of this forum.

I suspect there has been a huge population increase in the last 10 years. Texas Parks and Wildlife has a program that attempts to compensate for increased building by planting native plants that attract and provide for wildlife. Their website is: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us. They even have a downloadable booklet that lists plants that attract hummingbirds and butterflies.

You can't believe everything you read in the booklet though...I now live in Marlin, not Belton.:)

Walt

·
Registered
833 Posts
Welcome and good luck. A lot of good people and information here.Remember alot of the plants you can buy are hybreds, look good but do nothing for bees and hummers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi...

We live about 25 miles east of you and the Humming Birds are all over here :) No shortage of birds in the spring and fall....

Bees are plentiful also... Have seen three swarms passing by our Garden this year.. Of course our place is 3 miles from one of the Weaver bee yards so that might be a factor :)

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Walt. I will try to attend their next meeting and get this learning process started. I live in the city limits, and will have to check on potential problems with the city and residents. If all goes well, maybe I can get started next spring.
For Bsweet - good to know about hybrid flowering plants. I wasn't aware that there was a difference. Could be one reason the birds and bees don't seem to care for the flowers in my area. Looks like I have even more to learn about than just bees.
For Steve - Glad you have both! I have noticed that some have hummers in my area and other don't. I suspect those that have hummers may also have some bees as well, and it could have a lot to do with what Bsweet mentioned. I have to figure out how to tell the difference between plants in order to get flowers that actually do some good. And, maybe go down to Navasota for a visit with one of the Weaver families.

Thanks to everyone for all the info...

bob
bryan,texas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts