Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've been reading these forums for two years now and as far as I know this is my first post. My wife and I love our bees and she is just as active as I am in trying to keep bees. We started with a package at the end of March 2019 and are going into winter with 4 hives. They still seem to be doing great so far. I appreciate all of the expert advise that is freely given on this site. I have learned SO much. Cheers!

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,886 Posts
Welcome to Beesource Horsequick. I hope you are finding this site both enlightening and entertaining. Congratulations on being able to get 4 overwintering colonies from a single March package. That is a feat any 2nd or 3rd year beek would be proud of.

Reactions: Horsequick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome, no swarms or cutouts?
No. They built up quick as they were fed and in the honey flow as well. When they got to 3 deeps then we had soybeans bloom in July for a second flow. They were split just a few days before the soybeans and cotton. I did order one beeweaver queen but the other two splits made their own queens and built up then had the fall flow. So now it's only 3 single stories and a 5-framer. The single stories are how a few of the experienced guys in my area overwinter so we will see. So far so good. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Horsequick:

Welcome to Beesource from a couple hours North of you.

Best of success with your overwintering efforts- looking forward to hearing how your apiary shapes up.

Russ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts