Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from central Arkansas. Little bit about me.

Mid 30's, kids, wife, house in the country (kind of).

I don't know why but sometime last Sept/Oct I started searching bees on youtube and well that has taken me here and hundreds of videos and a book or two later I figured I would post something. I have been reading on here and Michael Bush's web site along with a few blogs like Parker Farms. I seem to keep trying to talk myself out of keeping but I keep reading and watching the videos. I have a small home garden and we have bumble bees and mason bees around but in all my years here we have never seen a honey bee. I have contacted the local group near me but I have missed their meetings due to travel. Since I have been delaying I have not got a hive yet this year. I have posted on Craigslist to see if someone would show me around and possibly buy a swarm or split since I am running behind. So that pretty much brings me up to date and just wanted to finally say hello.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Welcome! I used to live in LR. I started late last year after missing the order-by-the-end-of-the-year deadline. Was able to get a nuc locally. There's always plenty of equipment to buy, build, paint, etc. until the girls arrive. It's an amazing avocation that I wish I'd started sooner. You'll have bees before you know it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I found a guy not far 2 hour or so from me. He has been TF for over 50 years and he sold me two working (1 month in the deep) hives yesterday. Amazing man and you can tell he loves his bees. I got them late yesterday and set them up late last night and I seen a few doing their flights this morning. I feel pretty lucky to have met him and looking forward to watching these bees work.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That's where my 6 I got Wednesday came from also . I almost bought the hives u got . They seem like great people .

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome to BeeSource and beekeeping !
My parents had 5 acres close to Mabelvale. My sister owns it now and is getting bees. I live in North Central Arkansas , Greers Ferry Lake area, and have 6 hives of bees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts