Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Looking to start beekeeping as a hobby in April. Have been trying to read as many books as I can get my hands on. Any tips, tricks, or stories about starting out would be amazing!! Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
8,269 Posts
Find your closest local bee club and listen to the member who doesn't have to buy bees annually because he knows how to keep them thru the winter. That person should also have honey for sale at all times meaning they know how to manage their colonies. Since beekeeping is primarily local that is my best advice. There will be some fool who loses their bees every winter and who doesn't think it moral to take honey from bees who will attempt to latch themselves on to you and give you THE TRUE PATH!

I envy you all the new and interesting things you will discover. You will not discover them being afraid to go in and look at your bees, just bear in mind, constant obcessive jiggering and poking and cleaning frames and taking full photographic documentation of all sides and angles of every frame is a certain way to kill your bees! A terrible truth is that worker bees tend to hold queens responsible and kill them for too much disturbance in the hive especially when she is a recently introduced stranger who still doesn't smell like them. Balance in everything. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much, going to a meeting tomorrow, so I will keep that advice in mind!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Hello all! Looking to start beekeeping as a hobby in April. Have been trying to read as many books as I can get my hands on. Any tips, tricks, or stories about starting out would be amazing!! Thanks in advance! :)
You would probably get more comments if you narrowed down your location a little. I noticed on the weather map today that it was snowing in the Panhandle while people are hitting the beach on Mustang Island. :)

Alex

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,739 Posts
Hi Bchamp,
Do either of you have skills related to wood working? Access to wood?

one of the opening decisions is what hive type and buy or build.

if you plan to start with a NUC then a frame size has been determined.

I enjoy the building as well so I build the hives and bottoms and lids.
if April is the start you need be getting the hives done and painted up soon.
Better for the new bees if the paint smell is gone when they arrive.

good luck, ask around at the meeting for ideas of what works in the local area, all places differ a bit on tactics.

GG

·
Registered
426 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of talent here so ask any questions you wish...you will be amazed at how many different answers you get. Some reading / viewing resources>>> scientificbeekeeping,com, Dave Cushman website (R. Patterson), on YouTube>> 628dirtrooster, Jeff Horchoff Bees, Kamon Reynolds Bees.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Welcome to the forum bchamp23. Looks like you've got some good advice, so I won't be redundant.

Best of success to you in your beekeeping efforts.

Russ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts