Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my first package last weekend. Did my first inspection today and it went less than stellar.

The space between the frames left by the queen cage was already filled with comb. When I looked at the frame to inspect it the comb fell on the ground. Suspecting my queen might be in there I started moving some bees around and, sure enough, there she was. Scooped her up on a piece of honeycomb and dropped her back into the hive. It went thump when it hit the bottom. I should have just set her on top of the exposed frames and let her crawl in. Hope she is OK.

And my smoker ran out before I was done. I also lost my hive tool in the leaves and had to use my pocket knife. The smoke fogged up my glasses which I could do nothing about cause of my head gear.

But I didn't get stung so I've got that going for me.

About 50% of the frames were drawn out so I added the second brood box. It may be too soon for that but it is done now.

Hoping next weekends inspection goes better.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
welcome to beesource!

sounds like you are off to a good start. my recommendation is make as many errors as possible to go ahead and get them out of the way. :)

you may want to add your location to your settings so that it shows up on your posts. location comes into play when it comes to others responding to your questions ect.

choose 'settings' at the top of the page, then:
'edit profile'
scroll down to 'additional information'
enter your general locality, i.e. 'northeast alabama' or whatever is appropriate.
'save changes'

location used to be required to create a log in but it is no longer the case with the new system.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
central n.c. is a beautiful part of the country. southern appalachia generally speaking is a really good area for beekeeping weather and habitat wise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
central n.c. is a beautiful part of the country. southern appalachia generally speaking is a really good area for beekeeping weather and habitat wise.
I'm in the Piedmont region unfortunately. I'd like to be closer to the mountains but that's just no in the card right now. This time of year we are covered in yellow pollen from all of the pine trees. It's like someone sprinkled the landscape with yellow chalk.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you had a “what could go wrong, did day”. Hang in there, things’ll get better.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Welcome to Bee Source. It's all a learning experience. The mistakes are part of what make bees interesting.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Welcome! Some of the best lessons are the ones the bees teach us while we are working with them. Best wishes!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Welcome. If it is any consolation, I'm in year 4 and still learning how to make new mistakes. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This week's inspection went much better. Found my queen (bottom right side of picture). I see larvae and what I think is capped brood, based on the pictures in my book. When do I need to stop feeding them sugar water? We are in full bloom here in central NC.

beeframe.jpg

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Are you using foundation or going foundationless? Putting the undrawn frame between drawn frames can help keep things drawn out.

What are your goals this year? Feeding can help keep them drawing comb fast flow on or not. However, they will store some and it can get mixed in with the honey as they sometimes move stuff around. I was feeding my smaller hives coming out of winter, but don't plan to harvest from those. They were all in-hive feeders, aka mason jars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you using foundation or going foundationless? Putting the undrawn frame between drawn frames can help keep things drawn out.

What are your goals this year? Feeding can help keep them drawing comb fast flow on or not. However, they will store some and it can get mixed in with the honey as they sometimes move stuff around. I was feeding my smaller hives coming out of winter, but don't plan to harvest from those. They were all in-hive feeders, aka mason jars.
Foundations

My goal this year was to get some bees and and learn about beekeeping. I'd like to have some harvest-able honey if possible but keeping them alive through the next winter is preferred if those are mutually exclusive options. My long term goal is to see if this could be a viable side business in a few years.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hello and welcome to bee keeping.
Hang in there, you haven't got to the addiction part of bee keeping yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts