Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I decided to jump into beekeeping and hope to learn a lot in this community. I know absolutely nothing at this point, but am willing to dive into listening and learning from the community.

About me:

• I just bought 5 acres 1 year ago and now that it is spring, I want to get going with bees
  • I know what I don't know: everything :)
  • I'm joining this forum with the desire to get up to speed on raising bees
  • I decided to get bees in order to secure my own honey
  • I just purchased bees from Tractor Supply today (they'll ship between 4/15-5/15)
  • I just purchased my suit today
  • I have a neighbor that donated a box that needs a little attention to get ready for bees. It has the frames in it that need to be worked on, but overall it's enough (I think) to get me started.

I'll post my questions shortly in the forum as there's so much I need to figure out.

Pleasure to meet you all!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
First, welcome. Please add your general location to your info. It will help a lot in getting better advice.

Have you gone to any local bee club meetings? Getting local bees is usually preferable to shipped packages. The bees that do well in my area may not do well in yours. That kind of thing.

Yes, read, read, read, and then watch some youtube. M. Palmer and M. Bush are two well known guys who have been doing this for decades and have some videos posted. Keep in mind that timing is a local thing. I started spring preps in January, while others up north are just getting started. Ebay and amazon can be a good place to get starter tools, but the trade off is often that shipping can take a month if you want the lower price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, welcome. Please add your general location to your info. It will help a lot in getting better advice.
Done. I'm in Murrieta, CA. Just added this to my info.

Have you gone to any local bee club meetings? Getting local bees is usually preferable to shipped packages. The bees that do well in my area may not do well in yours. That kind of thing.
Not yet. There's none in my direct area...they're a bit far away. I need to definitely do more homework on this point.

Yes, read, read, read, and then watch some youtube. M. Palmer and M. Bush are two well known guys who have been doing this for decades and have some videos posted. Keep in mind that timing is a local thing. I started spring preps in January, while others up north are just getting started. Ebay and amazon can be a good place to get starter tools, but the trade off is often that shipping can take a month if you want the lower price.
OK, good to know. I'm kinda throwing myself into this and learning on the fly. Thank you for your insight...greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
CA has a lot of temp zones. You may want to put which temp zone you are in into your signature or with your location. I'm zone 9A. We are lucky if we go a week during the winter without having fly days. Very different issues than those with snow. My suggestion is to plan to split at some point so you go into winter with more than one hive. That is if you want to hedge your bets on not having to buy a package next year.

What are your goals for this year? ...besides keeping them alive. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts