Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every one. me and my youth pastor do bees and have been doing it for 2 years now. we had three hives but 2 of them died during the winter so we're looking to catch some swarms this year. we're in Grafton WI.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
unfortunately last fall had a bad goldenrod flow over much of the northern and eastern 1/2 of the country. you no doubt noticed the coldest winter in 20 or more years, wild feral swarms will be tough to find this year probably, next to none in my area. this was the second no goldenrod flow in a row for me. there were close to no feral survivors last year here.... consider plan #2, a package, a split, or a nuc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea we were thinking of splitting but we don't know how strong the hive has to be. we also have about 100lbs of extra honey that were in the hives that didn't make it what do you suggest we do with it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it's free of contaminations ( sugar syrup honey, chemical treatments, brood comb) you could eat it but if you're planning on making increases I'd just give it back to the bees. It would be a great jump start to the new season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts