Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie to beekeeping. I have had my first hive since April. So each day is an adventure, sometimes thrilling and sometimes terrifying. But, always an adventure.

I am determined to have a treatment free hive. I also do not use chemicals on my lawn or garden. Live in Virginia.

Very happy to come upon this site. I don't have a mentor. (The one I was assigned told me she was too busy and couldn't get with me until after June. :scratch: Ummm....I had a box of buzzing bee in my garage waiting to be hived ...! I just have been doing this by the seat of my pants and the patience of the bees!

So, if I ask dumb questions, be like the bees and have patience with me!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a L10 frame Langstroth hive, with a screened bottom board. In the spring I am going to try a top bar hive -2 reasons - love that little observation window and theLangstroth boxes that are filled with honey weigh so much I can't pick them up.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
VB, what I started with were 8-frame medium boxes. I use them for brood, honey, nucs, hiving swarms, etc.,..basically everything. A good bit lighter than 10-frame boxes.

You might be interested in checking out OJ Blount's top bar hive design. It won't help you in regards to lifting heavy boxes but you could use your current 10-frame equipment for it. Then you could pick up some 8-frame equipment if you wanted to continue with some lighter weight Langstroth equipment along with the tbh. OJ's regular Langstroth hives also have the observation window....it can be done to most any deep brood box. I would imagine medium boxes wouldn't be able to have a very large window, though. Just some food for thought for you. :)

Best wishes,
Ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the suggestions and information. I will look into all of this during the coming cold months!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts