Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I installed my first package Wednesday evening late. The bees were very active and emptied one quart of syrup by Friday night. Saturday morning I opened the hive and released the queen from her box when I found the box attached to the frame with comb. Sunday (Today) they have emptied another quart of syrup and I see several bees coming in with yellow and orange pollen on their legs. Now to the questions if some of you fine folks have a minute. What is my next step and when? For you oakies beekeepers what is the is the most likely kids of pollen they are bringing in now?

Thanks for you time

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Hi,
That's great, most people feed until the wax is drawn out in the brood boxes.
Sounds like everything is going well.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I would give them a few days without bothering them. Just keep the syrup going. In about 4 or five days you can go in for the first inspection.
You basically will just want to make sure the queen is laying and the bees are drawing the comb well.
I would imagine in 5 days you should see a good bit of comb drawn and larva heading towards being capped (they cap on the 9th day after being layed).

I don't know what beekeepers in OK do but we usually use 2 or 3 deep up here (2 I think is more normal). If you are doing this then when you get about 7 frames drawn out you will be ready to add your second deep (or whatever).

Mike

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Well, sounds like you have a fine start. To pick up where Mike left off, once they have 80% or 8+ frames drawn you will want to put the next box on and let them at it. As far as pollen....being an urbans beek my girls have a wide array of forage to choose from. The dandelion bloom is just starting to wane here, and we have redbud's in full bloom. Not sure what else is blooming statewide right now.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hello Checotah! You're in a beautiful part of the state... I was born and raised in Tulsa, lived in Enid, and Durant for a while.

As mentioned, decide how many and what kind of brood boxes you want. If you're going with two deeps, keep feeding until all the brood comb is drawn out, then stop when you put your first extracting super on.

Are your bees in town, or in the country? And if in the country, what crops are around there? Alfalfa? Clover? Around Enid and in Southern Kansas I had real good luck on Alfalfa, no clover out there.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Checotah! You're in a beautiful part of the state... I was born and raised in Tulsa, lived in Enid, and Durant for a while.

As mentioned, decide how many and what kind of brood boxes you want. If you're going with two deeps, keep feeding until all the brood comb is drawn out, then stop when you put your first extracting super on.

Are your bees in town, or in the country? And if in the country, what crops are around there? Alfalfa? Clover? Around Enid and in Southern Kansas I had real good luck on Alfalfa, no clover out there.
Regards,
Steven
Thanks Steven. I'm out on Lake Eufaula. Lots of gardens around mostly cattle grazing. So it should be native plants and trees.

Checotah,

Welcome to the addiction. When's the next package arriving? :rolleyes:

Craig
I was thinking about maybe finding a swarm instead of another package thanks. LOL Yea I can see the addiction issue for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts