Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had one heck of a honey flow in my area. I have three hives that are nearly packed full of honey and I need to get my butt in gear with few empty supers ASAP.

So, I did a split on May 15th. Worked like a charm. BUT, it seems as though the hive I split from became honeybound in the time it took for the hive to make a queen. I checked it yesterday and there is a queen, but no eggs. Every frame in the 3 deeps is full of honey.

Yes, I did a search on honeybound, but I always like to have reassurance before I do something for the first time.

I'm going to add an empty super below the top super. This should get her laying, yes??? I use foundationless frames and I guess my concern is that they're going to continue packing cells full of honey as they build comb.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Is it capped honey or just open nectar? I had exactly the same situation about a week ago, but by the time I came back with some empty frames there was a bunch of brood. I guess they moved the nectar.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The majority is uncapped. I would have taken fully capped frames out to add more room, but alas. I'll have time to get back up to them next Tuesday and I'll add a super I guess. Hopefully things will have changed by then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts